Sunday, November 26, 2006

First shawl




Really enjoyed knitting Branching Out in different shades of Rowan Kidsilk Haze as Xmas presents last year and one of my ambitions for this year has been to knit more lace and more specifically a shawl. Encouraged by a lace knitting day at Colinette back in October this is the Forest Canopy shawl that I've just finished.

I'd recommend it for anyone wanting to take up lace knitting and the pattern is free http://ma2ut.blogspot.com/2006/09/forest-canopy-shoulder-shawl.html
it's very well written, easy to follow, can be used for a wide range of yarns and grows quickly.


It's knit up in A L de Sauveterre's Whisper which is 100% Peruvian alpaca and this colourway is Summer Berries. In a perfect world I should have perhaps tried an extra repeat but was nervous that I'd run out of yarn to complete the edging. This yarn is lovely to work with and although I was apprehensive about the whole blocking procedure it was straightforward and the shawl is even softer now.

Knitting this has boosted my confidence enormously BUT think there's potential to develop a serious lace addiction. I'm busy knitting socks (Xmas pressies) but finding it a tad tedious so have to allow myself a lace knitting fix. Have started Kiri - hate the colour of the yarn I'm using Rowan Kidsilk Haze Meadow but loving the pattern so will probably do a small version, then repeat with yarn I like better.

Also on the needles are a pair of Broadripple socks being knit in Posh Yarns Sophia 4ply sock yarn colour Sweet Pea - this is remarkably thick for sock yarn (well thicker than I'm normally used to knitting with) but so soft and joy to knit with.

My body seems to be developing allergies and intolerance to anything and everything at the moment. I've been really unwell this weekend and it seems to be related to red wine and it seems that even a glass is enough to trigger a headache, high temperature and upset stomach. Hoping that it's just related to a mix of Shiraz Cabernet grapes not all red wine!!!

2 Comments:

At 5:33 am, Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

THAT IS GORGEOUS

*hugs*


Great job!


xoxoxoxo
Anne

 
At 1:59 pm, Blogger Rachel said...

Your shawl is beautiful. Just a slight nit - the pattern isn't free, it costs $6.50. It's well worth the price, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home